Online learning has witnessed continuous growth since the arrival of its business model i.e., about a decade ago. It has provided a new online platform to people to help them gain new skills that otherwise are very expensive or may be out of reach to everyone. The severe pandemic of COVID19 has forced all organizations working educational institutions to shut down and start a new way to teach students through video conferencing apps like Google Meet, Skype, or Zoom.
Most of the Top tier universities of the world are democratizing learning by making their courses available online. In the market, there are numerous online learning platforms for people to choose from such as Udemy, Udacity, Skillshare, edX, Coursera, Outschool etc. that serve millions of people. One of these platforms is Domestika whose business model we will be discussing today. In this article, various aspects of the working process of Domestika will be covered to answer the most demanding question of our curious readers i.e., “How does Domestika work?” and “How does Domestika make money?”.
- What is Domestika?
- What is Domestika for Business?
- What is Domestika Pro?
- How does Domestika work?
- How does Domestika make money?
- Domestika’s affiliate program
- How does Domestika’s affiliate program work?
- What can an affiliate share after becoming an affiliate marketer at Domestika?
- Who are Domestika’s investors?
- Some key points in Domestika’s arsenal
- The market of Domestika like solutions
What is Domestika?
Domestika is one of the largest creative communities online which has thousands of teachers and students from several countries. It came up as a vibrant community of creative professionals that are eager to share knowledge with the world. It can not be only termed as an educational platform. It was created to provide a platform to the creative professionals from the world to showcase their talent and share their knowledge with everyone around the world that too from the comfort of home.
Domestika was created in 2004 as a community of creative people in Barcelona, Spain, which further grew up in internet forums and face-to-face events. When they came online, Domestika further expanded its activities and became an online course platform. The headquarter of the company is in San Francisco (USA) and has offices in other countries.
The idea of adding courses was developed in 2013 by Domestika founders, Julia Cotorrelo and Tomy Pelluz. They broaden their horizon by designing and producing online courses for students who want to learn and grow professionally with the teachings of the world’s best teachers. With this idea, Domestika emerged as the leading online community where people from all over the world gather to learn and share their passion with others.
It’s a trend these days to offer study material online and that’s what Domestika is doing by providing paid courses online for students or professionals to learn new skills. You can learn professional photography, write movie scripts, or build 3D projects with Domestika. The company aims to revitalize people to learn new skills for their personal development, knowledge enhancement, and to advance in their careers while sharing knowledge and projects with the community.
What is Domestika for Business?
Domestika for Business is a program that lets the organizational heads offer Domestika’s courses in their company, institutions, or educational center to allow the employees or students to learn and develop professionally.
Through Domestika for Business program, one can purchase 10,20, 50, or over 50 login plans which can easily be assigned to the members of an organization. The manager or the head of the organization will have a control panel to keep track of the team’s progress. In addition to this, members receive a certificate also after the completion of the courses through Domestika.
Here are the features of Domestika for business:
- Best courses at best prices
- The team is always in control through a control panel
- Easily assign logins to members
- Members can redeem logins anytime
- Certification after completion of courses
- Personalized services through Domestika
What is Domestika Pro?
This is again one of the programs offered by Domestika. Domestika Pro is a platform subscription program. The subscriber pays an annual fee for the following advantages:
- Additional discount on courses
- Access to free courses available on the platform
- Access to course certificates
- The exclusive newsletter for PRO members
- PRO ID in the community profile of Domestika
Payment is as usual done through the official website and the subscription has to be renewed each year. This plan is perfect for those who tend to purchase several courses throughout the year. Also, for the ones who are keen to make good use of the open courses as subscribers can take them for free.
How does Domestika work?
All the courses available on Domestika are completely online. To access any course, one can either pay for that particular course separately or purchase a subscription to the platform. Once subscribed, you can watch any course anytime, and anywhere for an unlimited time period.
After signing up, any of the courses can be chosen from various online courses available or can go for a subscription on the platform for unlimited access.
Usually, the course length is 2 to 4 hours which is in video format with additional study materials like reading materials, templates, spreadsheets, etc.
The courses on the platform are taught by field specialists or professionals in the creative sector. These specialists are not only super famous professionals, some people are specialists in their field but not that famous. It is a democratic platform available for all. So, anyone with specialized knowledge in a creative field can submit their course proposals and classes which will go through the platform’s evaluation and curatorship. If the proposal gets permitted, Domestika supports the teacher to produce the class and materials with the platform’s quality standard.
Through these developed courses, professionals or instructors at Domestika guide students throughout the course and shows them the step-by-step development process of the final project so that the subscriber i.e., the students can make the most out of the video course. In addition to this, each course on the platform has an internal community that exchanges knowledge and shares experiences or projects. With this, the student can easily learn and make some creative projects and then continue learning with the other professionals of the community even after taking the course.
The courses present on Domestika are mostly covered in the Spanish language. However, there are some others in English also. Now, many videos come up with subtitles in other languages too. For that, you must check the available languages on the presentation page before taking up the course or you can even watch the preview of the course to get an idea of the language used.
This platform offers on-demand online courses with unlimited access. The projects developed by students after the completion of the course, are shared with the community and are available for viewing on the courses page. This encourages them to do better after finishing the course.
The courses at Domestika are focused on the development of knowledge and skills of the students in the creative fields. These courses are for all levels, from beginner to advance. Here are the various areas whose courses are covered on the platform:
- Marketing and Business
- Photography and Videography
- 3D and Animation
- Architecture and Spaces
- Calligraphy and Typography
How does Domestika make money?
Now that we have discussed the Domestika business model, let’s move on to understanding the Domestika revenue model to answer the question- “How does Domestika make money?”.
Domestika earns money by charging fees to instructors for showcasing their content on the platform. It works on a subscription-based model as well as a one-time payment model.
The courses at Domestika are chargeable and the prices are shared in local currencies on the platform. The company also offers an affiliate program to allow people to earn money by adding their connections to the platform. Let’s discuss this program in detail.
Domestika’s affiliate program
Domestika’s affiliate program allows people to make money by connecting the audience with the best courses for creatives. Below are the features of this program:
- Creators can make money online by sharing the best online creative course (the one you consider the best) and content that Domestika publishes each week.
- The creator can make money through Domestika every month with every new sign-up and course purchase that is made through their shares.
- Domestika publishes new content several times a week which is always available for affiliates to share.
- The platform consists of more than 300 courses with the best professionals. So, there are huge varieties of courses available to people for sharing and reaching out to other people to meet their demands.
- The total control of the campaigns is in the creator’s hands as an affiliate. The creator can easily choose what and how to share and check how their campaigns are performing through the Domestika platform. All these features are easily available on this single platform.
How does Domestika’s affiliate program work?
When anyone joins Domestika’s affiliate program, they get a unique promotional link. When someone clicks on the promotional link, a cookie that lasts thirty days is set in the browser. This cookie allows the company to track all affiliate’s referral activities and through that affiliates earn money. An affiliate has access to a dashboard that will display all their referral activities on a real-time basis. The more traffic they send to the website, the greater are the chances of earning more.
Here is the detail of the amount an affiliate can earn by joining Domestika’s affiliate marketing program:
- If the user that the affiliate has referred makes a first-time purchase on Domestika’s platform during the 30 days period, the affiliate will get a 40% commission over the total sale made.
- If the process mentioned is repeated, the affiliate will get a 20% commission on every purchase.
- If the user that the affiliate has referred registers for Domestika’s platform but does not make a purchase, the affiliate will get a small amount for each user referred.
An affiliate marketer can earn money by sharing any content that Domestika publishes- be it its courses, special promos, Domestika PRO subscriptions, or news that might sound interesting to affiliate’s followers and attract them towards the platform. The affiliate has complete control to promote the content whichever, whenever, and wherever they choose. The affiliate can post a blog article regarding this, a youtube video, Facebook post, Instagram post, a tweet, or a marketing email, anything that might make customers desirous to try out the platform. It is all in the affiliate’s hands to decide how they want to communicate with their audience regarding the Domestika platform.
Who are Domestika’s investors?
Domestika, an e-learning platform is intended to offer creative courses to students from expert professionals. It has a well-thought business model. It has a community of creative professionals who are keen to interact in a network of creative people to share knowledge and work together. This platform offers video lectures on various topics such as illustration, 3D animations, photography, etc. The community has active discussion on their favorite topics to enhance each other’s knowledge and enable users to learn from top experts of the world working in the creative sector.
As earlier mentioned, the platform was founded in 2013 by Julio Cotorruelo and Tomy Pelluz. The company is a private organization and has not many investors involved in fact, as per pitchbook.com, Domestika has only one investor i.e., Zeev Ventures. The investor type is Venture Capital and is holding a minority share.
Some key points in Domestika’s arsenal
- The content quality of the Domestika platform is quite high as compared to the others in the market. The high quality is the result of Domestika’s in-house production team. As already mentioned above, when the platform approves any instructor to publish his/her courses on the platform, Domestika produces the course content that perfectly meets its video quality and content quality standards.
- The creative community at Domestika is continuously growing and inspiring others by sharing their works. On this platform, each course has a unique forum for participants to discuss the learnings and ask questions from each other as well as the instructor. Students can easily browse and comment on each other’s work and take inspiration for their next project. If you do not want to share your project with others, you can even hide the final project and just take participation in the course. Domestika also allows people to set up a mini-portfolio and create a good profile on the platform by linking to other social media accounts or websites. It is a great platform for collaborating with other artists and indicates that you are open to freelancing work.
- The biggest problem with Domestika is the lack of English language available in most of the courses. For those who don’t speak Spanish, it is quite annoying to learn through the auto-generated subtitle which most of the time turns out to be completely meaningless. On the positive side, we can witness a growing catalog of courses in the English language on Domestika’s platform which is good news for everyone. In the coming years, Domestika will expand abroad by removing this language barrier extensively.
The market of Domestika like solutions
The biggest advantage of an e-learning platform is that of time. People can easily schedule their learning hours according to their convenience. This itself reflects the huge opportunity for entrepreneurs to invest in this sector.
The rapid growth of e-learning in the market is the result of the cost structure of these platforms. Today, e-learning platforms offer traditionally expensive courses in a modern and inexpensive. Many worldwide top-tier universities are also lending a helping hand in democratizing learning by making courses available via online mode.
According to Forbes, it is a fact that online learning is a future and will replace physical learning soon in the coming future. Mobile platforms that are coming today, have allowed access to more people to benefit from online learning and have created huge data. With this excess of data, machine learning has given personalized solutions to the course content.
In the future, it will not be surprising to witness the integration of virtual reality and augmented reality or more advanced machine learning algorithms to democratize learning worldwide.
If you are willing to launch an e-learning platform similar to Domestika or looking for e-learning software development NCrypted Technologies has the right solutions developed by our capable and innovative workforce. We offer customized and innovative features as per your requirement to let you launch a successful e-learning platform.